Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Lasts

There is one more load of stuff in  my house hat needs to be taken to be donated; furniture, mostly.  My couch, bed, a table, a few chairs I've kept to use here in the finals days.  I have 2 suitcases to pack, some random food that is left that I will take to  my boyfriend, and those most important papers I have to keep with me.  The party Saturday night was fun, and this week is filled with last minute errands; getting records from the Vet, going to the post office, handling paperwork.

But as I go through the week I am struck by the seeming finality of it all.  I have to concentrate on the adventure of my life, but I can't help but feel doors closing.  I know these friendships will last forever, but the changes wrought by my new geographic location will be abundant.  What this change will mean for us all will be determined in the coming  weeks and months.  For now, I try not to weep as I sit across from my dear bff for our last breakfast, share my last quick lunch with my sister, my last Sunday afternoon of knitting with the gentle group, my last evening with the GKP, the last night of sleep in my house . . . so many lasts.

Next week I will get some firsts.  For now, I will embrace the lasts.

No comments: