Friday, December 26, 2008

Xmas Meme

My friend, Netter, tagged me a while ago, and I've been so out of things (grouchy, petulant, self-absorbed) that I didn't even know til just now! So, here's me, finally catching up. . .

1) Wrapping paper or gift bags? The tradition in my family, for as long as I can remember (so at least 40 years) has been, as much as possible, to wrap box lids and re-use the boxes with fresh (or gently-used) ribbons. Problem this year: we've had Xmas other places so much these last few years that I have no pre-wrapped boxes in the house! Gift bags are nicely re-usable, though.

2) Real tree or artificial? Artificial. I think I've had a real tree, maybe, 5 times in my life. For the past several years we've mostly used a very cheap 4 ft. artificial tree that I got on sale about 20 years ago. It doesn't even come close to fitting all our ornaments, but I like the way it looks in our front window, put up on my grandma's old sewing machine stand. We leave the lights on and store it, with lights, in a big garbage bag. We also distribute extra ornaments around the house on anything that has something sticky-outy and could hold an ornament. I love the haphazardness of it . . . and we have a tendancy to find random ornaments for months after, in odd places where Simon has hung them.

3) When do you put up the tree? After Thanksgiving, on a weekend when we have time.

4) When do you take the tree down? Usually at or around the beginning of January. One year, when Si was little, and we had a big tree in the livining room and the small tree in his bedroom, we left his small tree up til late Summer or later. Yea, we're just lazy that way.

5) Do you like eggnog? I think I've only tried it once or twice. I think I liked it, but to be honest, it's extra calories I don't need so I never buy it or take it if offered. I'm just as happy with black coffee or straight alcohol. :-)

6) Favorite gift received as a child? I’m not sure … the crocheted afghan my Aunt Ginnie made for me. It is what is now called "Rainbow Blankie" in my house, ever since my son stole it from my bed.

7) Hardest person to buy for? My brother. He keeps his thoughts/desires/feelings very close to the cuff, and is so un-assuming about wanting things that he almost never admits to wanting anything.

8) Easiest person to buy for? My mom. She loves what I love, so it's always a joy to buy/knit for her.

9) Do you have a nativity scene? I would love to have a larger collection of them, but we really have no room. I have 2 sets that are grown-up-ish (one plain stained wood silhouette set, one is the set from my childhood), 2 kids sets (one is almost like little tykes, the other is printed/stuffed cloth that my mom assembled) and a few smaller, self-contained creches.

10) Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Stomach flu - about 6 years ago.

11) Favorite Christmas Movie? I love Christmas movies! I love "It's a Wonderful Life" and "Christmas in Connecticutt", even though they're both pretty schmaltzy. For TV specials, you can't beat "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" and "Charlie Brown". I'm a sucker for shows that highlight the true meaning of Christmas.

12) Favorite Christmas song? Angels We Have Heard on High (I love the Glo-o-o-o-o-o-rias!)

13) Travel at Christmas or stay home? We used to stay in town for Christmas when Si was younger, but now we travel. Each year's agenda is different, but we hit both sets of our parents. This year we're just now ending 3 days w/Mike's parents and heading home. Saturday we'll go to my family's for about 6 days.

14) Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Yes, why not? I’m all for recycling!

15) Favorite ornament theme or color? I prefer hand-made or ornaments with some kind of special significance (like ones we've found on vacation or ones from our childhood). I also have a special collection of pewter ornaments from Wendell August Forge that I display on long strips of red felt, hanging on the wall. I love them so much that I am considering leaving them up all year this year. Mom gets me one each year, and has for over 20 (nearly 30?) years.

Netter said to tag 5 others, so here goes:
Cheryl
Amanda
Kim
Shawn
Don
. . . and anyone else who reads and would like to do the meme - you all know how I love memes!

I'd love to tag both my moms (Hi Mom! HI MIL!), but neither have blogs. Please, if you're up to it, post answers in comments?

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Hey Cathy! Thanks for the tag. I did it! I posted on my blog and since you asked, am putting them here to. Merry Christmas!! xx

01. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
Even though I know it's not enviornmentally the best, I love wrapping presents and tying them up with ribbon. In my defense though, I have used brown grocery bags or just plain tissue paper. I love that simple look.

02. Real tree or artificial?
I grew up with artificial and maybe because of that, have always gotten real trees once I was "all growns up." I just love the smell and beauty of a real one. This year though artificial was our only option and it still was pretty great.

03. When do you put up a tree?
Usually right after Thanksgiving. I like us to be able to enjoy it all of December.

04. When do you take the tree down?
Usually right on or after New Years Day. This year though we might leave it up longer. My mother-in-law and her husband are visiting the last week in January. And since we are celebrating Christmas with them then, we thought we might go ahead and leave it up. Plus it's so pretty! And living abroad now with most of our items packed away back home, it adds that something extra to our very simple abode.

05. Do you like eggnog?
Jeez, I think I've tried it a couple times, and it hasn't been my thing....I'll stick with hot cocoa!

06. Favorite gift as a child?
I remember one year getting a cabbage patch doll from my Aunt and thinking it was the best thing in the whole world. I had wanted one for like forever.

07. Hardest person to buy for?
Hmmmm. My dad has never been the easiest. At the same time, he is easy to please, if that makes any sense at all.

08. Easiest person to buy for?
That would be Eleanor! Little ones are so easy to make happy. This year she has been very happiest with a cute little washing machine (that whips around - very cool) and a set of cars, as well as an adorable sock monkey family sent to us :)

09. Do you have a nativity scene?
We do have one back home. It's a Willow Tree Nativity Scene from my MIL which I really love. Very simple.

10. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
Nothing comes to mind actually...although I know there are some stinkers in there.

11. Favorite Christmas Movie?
Definitely It's a Wonderful Life and A Charlie Brown Christmas.

12. Favorite Christmas Song?
I absolutely love love love A Charlie Brown Christmas: Original Soundtrack by Vince Guaraldi. Favorite single song: John Lennon's Happy Christmas (War is Over) is in there. Eleanor's favorite by far has been Jingle Bells.

13. Travel at Christmas or stay home?
We've always went home to Cincinnati to see family. This year though we did not of course with being so far away.

14. Have you ever recycled a christmas present?
Sure, but if I have, I always try to make sure it looks like a straight up gift that they would like. We've all gotten those re-gifts that are so obvious and that's not cool.

15. Favorite ornament or theme color?
Oh, there are sooo many I really like. Probably my favorite is from our wedding. We were married in December and gave out pretty creme-colored ornaments with a personalized ribbon as wedding favors. I liked that choice - something people won't just throw away immediately. I always smile when I see one on someone's tree :)

read2akid said...

Here are my answers, also posted on my blog.
1) Wrapping paper or gift bags? Usually wrapping paper for family, but gift bags for everyone else. They are easier to carry to and from a party.
2) Real tree or artificial? Artificial. I've had live trees and they are much more work.
3) When do you put up the tree? Usually the first weekend in December.
4) When do you take the tree down? New Year's Day.
5) Do you like eggnog? Ick--no.
6) Favorite gift received as a child? Something Barbie--probably her big yellow mobile home. I always wanted the townhouse, and never got it. My friend Michelle did, though, so I got to play with it at her house.
7) Hardest person to buy for? My husband. He usually wants electronic or stereo stuff. It's easier to just get him a gift card or have him buy it himself and give it to me to wrap.
8) Easiest person to buy for? My mom.
9) Do you have a nativity scene? I have about 10 throughout the house. That's the whole point of Christmas, right?
10) Worst Christmas gift you ever received? A polyester pants suit that my grandmother got me when I was about 12. It was blue and red checked--horrible. I can't imagine what she was thinking.
11) Favorite Christmas Movie? Well, I love "A Christmas Story." But I guess I like kids' animated specials better: the Grinch, Year Without Santa, Rudolph--the classics.
12) Favorite Christmas song? O Come, O Come Emmanuel.
13) Travel at Christmas or stay home? We travel in town on Christmas Eve and stay home Christmas Day.
14) Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? The only ones I can remember doing that for were white elephant gifts.
15) Favorite ornament theme or color? I have several. I prefer red, green and clear lights for the tree. Any ornament my kids made is very special to me. The angel on top of our tree is one that I made in Camp Fire Girls when I was 9 or so. It has been at the top of every tree I've ever had. I also have a small collection of Christmas outhouses that make me laugh.