Wednesday, March 10, 2010

American Idol, making dreams come true and my bucket list

Do you have a bucket list? I don't have one written down, but I do sort of have a list of things I've always wanted to do and would like to accomplish in my life. One of those things involves music.

I have always loved making music. I'm told by my family that I pretty much started singing right when I learned to talk. My sister complained that I would wake her up in the middle of the night (we shared a room) because I'd wake up and sing myself back to sleep. Of course, being a little kid, I wouldn't sing a complete song, but would mindlessly just sing snippets from every song I knew in a sort of random fashion. I'm like that.

I like all kinds of music: folk, rock. church, classical, opera, hip hop, rap, Christian alternative, Jazz, blues, etc. I enjoy singing it all, too. The other day, Si got in the car and said "what are you listening to today, Mom?" thinking I had a book in, as per usual. I turned the CD player on and he got a blasting earful of Beyonce. I embarrassed him by singing and dancing along to Single Ladies as we went down the road. I did some musical theater in college and right after college, and I hope to again some day. I have sung in church choirs and I love karaoke. And I get together with 2 colleagues for our little band and play now and then for some traditional music (folk, gospel type stuff).

I don't know why I never really watched American Idol until last year. I don't like all the drama-building they do and the commercials and stuff, so we DVR it and watch it at our leisure, FFing past Ryan Seacrest and commercials. If I were younger I'd dream of going on that show, only struggling with what kind of music I would want to claim as "my own". I've enjoyed hearing about Susan Boyle and her rise to stardom with her amazing voice. It gives me hope that ordinary folks can do extraordinary, dream-quality things sometimes.

So that brings me to my bucket list. Someday, I'd like to front a blues band. I'd love to really sing all those great songs made famous by Bill Withers, BB King, Etta James and others, and have back-up singers and musicians around me. Mmm mm mm, wouldn't that be fun?

If you could sing in a band, what would you want to sing? What is on your bucket list?

1 comment:

Netter said...

I don't think I'd ever want to sing in a band, though I've thought of joining a choir. The only thing I have on my bucket list isn't anything too exciting - I'd like to make a quilt. I keep checking out classes to get started, maybe someday I'll decide I have enough time to undertake the project.

Good luck with your list!