Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Thoughts about life

MUSH WARNING - THIS IS A VERY EMOTIONAL POST

Life takes funny twists and turns. There are heartaches, illnesses, disappointments in all of our lives, and there are usually shiny, warm, sparkly things in each of our lives, too. Sometimes the balance between those two sides seems out of whack, but all we can do is keep on plugging and trusting that there is a reason for it all. That's what I believe, anyway.

I don't usually get very intimate in this blog, but there is enough going on in my life right now that there's little else I could do and still keep the blog active. Oh, sure, in another week I'll probably be back to posting knitting pictures and family stuff, and I'm sure you'll get that again, but right now, I feel the need to share just a few thoughts about . . . . well . . . life.

I like lists, and I love memes, so I'll make this list in random order of some of the thinks I've thunk lately.

  • The people who are in charge are the ones who get to choose what's important. That's just the way it is. The rest of us need to find a way to let that be OK in our brains.
  • My dad always said that you have to figure out what you love to do, and then find someone who's willing to pay you to do it. This is excellent career advice. We should all follow it.
  • Sometimes, my dad's advice is impossible to follow, and you just have to suck it up and work for a living, even if the job isn't your dream job.
  • Excitement and challenge are sometime over-rated.
  • You need to cherish the people you care about, and tell them often that you love them. Trust me, it's important.
  • God has a plan for each of us. I do actually believe this to be true. Sometimes I want to grab the power and make my own *&^%ing plans because His don't make sense to me, but that never seems to work out well.
  • Each day, you should think about what's most important to you and do something that has meaning. For many of us with kids, that can be as simple as sharing a book or conversation with the kid. Hey, it works for me!
  • At the end of the day, you have to be able to be a peace with who you are.
  • When it comes right down to it, all of life is really just between you and your creator. Build that relationship, and all the rest will fall into place. . . . at least, that's what I'm thinkin is true.
To my dear friend, Billi, who recently passed away: I wish I'd spent more time with you recently. Your compassionate heart and generosity were always a comfort to me, and the way you cared about everyone's kids was so very sweet. I wish I'd told you, but of course, when I actually did, you brushed it off. You were like that. I only have a few pictures of you, from when you dyed my hair purple at the L. It was so cool of you to come do that.

To my readers: If you are a praying person, please offer up some prayers for our friend, Braeden, who lost his mother last week (and his dad, Michael). Braeden is 14, and he is going to be reeling from this for a long time.

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

Hey Cathy,

I am so sorry about your recent losses. I will be praying for you and your friends. Very sad. I know where you are coming from with the above. And even though I know you will be bouncing back, it is sad when people in an org that are the most exuberant and passionate are feeling low.

On a side note, I love the new look of the blog! xx

Julie said...

I'm feeling for you. Two losses so close together is not an easy cross to bear. You must be hurting. I will be thinking about you and praying for you. Sometimes it just helps to know that someone out there is on your side.

I am a firm believer in God having a reason and plan. I hate that he doesn't announce that plan to me! Humpf! It was very hard this past year to apply for a bunch of positions and to keep getting turned down. I knew I could have kicked butt in those jobs. But I am soooo happy now. Lots less stress and a great crew to work with. God knew. I wish he had clued me in sooner!

Take care. It will get easier with time.

Love,
Jul

Cat Herself said...

Thanks, gals, for your support. Actually, even blogging about it made it a little better - cathartic blogging. Someone should write a psych thesis on that or something!

Jim Brochowski said...

Glad that you were able to get it out as it were. I can also attest to the cathartic nature of blogging.

Big hugs for you, and thoughts and prayers for everyone involved. I'll throw an extra one up for Braeden - poor kid.

I'd be willing to bet your list rings true for many - just reading it is almost like a prayer.

I'll bet you didn't plan that. ;-)

Cat Herself said...

Who, me? Pray? :-) Well, maybe a lottle . . .