Monday, February 16, 2009

Prez Day

Very tired today, but seem to have turned the corner a little on the pain. In other words, it's a little better today than yesterday. I'm enjoying some music today, washed up this morning (hair still gross), and feeling like maybe I can make it. Mostly I'm just tired. Seems like everytime I get to dozing, someone comes in, the phone rings or something. Please don't take it personally, but I think I'm going to turn off my phone for a while.

Had a bad nurse yesterday - she was awful! - and I think that made my emotional state even worse. Today I have great folks again, and everything looks/feels better. Still in pain, but taking it one hour at a time. Not thinking further into the future than just getting home.

It's the little things that make a huge difference:

  • Simon drew me a great forest scene on the whiteboard in my room, which is really sweet.
  • a nurse's assistant who is pro-active (do you need more ice in your cup?)
  • someone who thinks to pull my hosp gown closed in the back, giving me some sense of dignity and privacy
  • a smile from the dr, understanding that the pain sucks
  • being able to adjust my bad leg on my own . . . a little
  • washing my hands at the sink
  • sunshine outside the window
  • turning the TV off
  • planning what I'll write in my letter to the hosp. about that bad nurse yesterday who rolled her eyes when I said I was in pain

Just about everyone here has been really great. Don't you worry, folks, this will eventually be over.

1 comment:

Jim Brochowski said...

I'm sorry about the bad nurse. That just sucks. Rolling of the eyes is inexcusable.

Good that you are still seeing the positives.

The more I hear about Simon the more I like him. What a great kid!

Hang in there!

((((hugs))))