Saturday, November 27, 2010

Books!

I have been reading, you know, just not as much as I should be. With all the holiday knitting and crocheting I've been doing (and wanting to do), it's hard to fit books in. Thank goodness for recorded books and my car's CD player!

Mennonite in a Little Black Dress
by Rhoda Janzen, 2009.
This memoir is delightful! Janzen talks about her more modern life while still being respectful (albeit with humor) of her upbringing. At times irreverent, and other times poetically nostalgic, this book really made me laugh, sigh and appreciate life. Janzen has a way with words. I listened to the book on CD, read by Hilary Huber, and she did a superb job.

Case of the Missing Marquis and the rest of The Enola Holmes Series by Nancy Springer.
Enola is the very young sister of Sherlock and Mycroft Holmes! Raised to be brilliant (how could she be otherwise) and supremely independent, she leaves home when she turns 14. On her 14th birthday, you see, her mother goes missing and Enola must figure out the clues. She leaves home and ends up also being involved in the solving of the mystery of a missing Marquis. Her attention to detail and her understanding of the feminine world are often her main assets allowing her to solve things before even her famous brother can! This series is written for children around 4th grade, I would guess, but I thoroughly enjoyed the 6 that are already out. I can't wait for more!

On What Grounds and other books in the Coffee Shop Mysteries series by Cleo Coyle
These are fun mysteries set in a coffee shop. Somewhat formulaic, they don't take a lot of brain power, and I don't often have a lot of brain power to dedicate to a new book. Filled with tidbits about coffee brewing and other delicious things, I found this book and the one other I have read so far (#6, "French Pressed") to be entertaining enough to cause me to put more of them on my "to read" list.

Currently reading: Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
This is currently my in-car book on CD. It is fascinating! He's delving into what makes a person a successful genius as opposed to someone who just misses the mark. What "perfect storm" would it take to make someone one of those uber-successful people?

2 comments:

yarmando said...

All of my closest henchmen should be able to knit and read at the same time.

Cat Herself said...

Actually, I CAN knit and read at the same time, but it requires sitting at a table, and I'd usually rather sit in a comfy chair or on the couch when I'm at home.

Good point, though. And a very good reason to clean off the dining table . . .