Sunday, November 14, 2010

Knitting With Friends

There are many aspects of knitting that are attractive to me. I enjoy the visceral pleasure of the yarn passing around my fingers, sliding over my skin and looping around the needles at my command. I love the creativity of choosing patterns, choosing fibers, choosing colors, combining them all in unique ways to create practical and beautiful items. I love veering off the patterns to customize designs or completely create them from scratch. I love knowing that this is an ancient art, and that I share these movements with my grandmother and countless generations before her, sometimes even knitting from patterns that are older than her time. I enjoy keeping my hands busy while doing other things that might otherwise feel frivolous (watching tv), and even when I'm doing things that are important, knitting simple patterns can often help me calm my mind, concentrate on difficult problems, work things out more readily.

Along with all of these things, I love that knitting is such a social craft. You can carry it with you, you can talk with others while you're knitting, and knitting with others will often allow each of you to learn and grow your skills more quickly. Of course, it's no surprise to anyone that knows me that I would glom onto a craft that allows me to talk to people while I do it. I do love to talk!

But a knitting group often becomes more than just an outlet for knitting and chattering away. Over time you grow some great friendships, and I have been blessed to have many great friends in my knitting companions. More than the knitting itself calming me, being with my knitting cohorts will often lift my spirits and keep me pumped about my knitting, help me relax, make me happy.

If you are one of the folks I knit with - thank you. You are special to me.

If you'd like to hear more about knitting, I invite you (again) to check out the knitting vlog I've been doing with my buddy, Knittingbrow. Click here..

No comments: