This morning we went to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Pt 1. Here are my first impressions (without giving any spoilers, I think):
- It's a very dark movie, but no darker than the book, for sure. I mean, when you're battling the ultimate evil, it's bound to get a little dark.
- I don't like the new actor playing Fenrir Greyback as much as the former actor. He wasn't menacing enough.
- I loved the animation in the middle - lovely stuff. It looked Tim Burton-esque.
- The time we were in the movie seemed to fly by.
- There were some plot alterations, which are understandable, I guess, but it still kind of bugs me a little here and there.
- Some of the scene cuts and editing seemed a little clunky and choppy. I'm curious to hear if people who aren't as familiar with the books have trouble following the story.
- Xeno Lovegood wasn't weird enough.
- I liked the Lovegood residence, but I am disappointed we didn't get to see Luna's bedroom.
I am, and always will be, a complete HP geek. I enjoy the movies a lot, but the books are still where it's at.