Thursday, November 11, 2010

Thank You

Today is Veteran's Day. It is a bank holiday, a national holiday to honor all of our country's veterans from all wars and conflicts. This is the anniversary of the day that Armistice began in 1918 to end World War 1. There is an interesting history of the holiday here.

I appreciate but realize that I don't fully understand the sacrifices our veterans have made and the horrors they've seen. I count myself as immeasurably lucky not to have experienced war first hand. Seeing it on TV, hearing the news of things far, far away or visiting battlefields is hard enough. My heart goes out to families who are currently enduring the tenuous waiting and stress of having a loved one involved in the war.

Today, I am thinking about my father, my uncle Bob, my grandfather, Mike's grandfather, friends who've served, both in times of conflict and in times of peace. Thank you all.

Mike and I both have the day off, but Simon has school, which means . . .
DAYTIME DATE! I think we might even picnic in the park if it's warm enough. We'll be doing some work to get Mike's things ready for the Boy Scout Campout this weekend, too. Then I'll be having dinner with my sister! Yay!

No comments: